Friday, June 17, 2011

Deploying RIA Services seems a bit too complicated

I have spent many hours troubleshooting deployments my Silverlight application (server side) just to figure out that I have the wrong version of a .dll. It seems that the easiest way to guarantee that you have the correct assemblies is to open your web project and select all the References and change the Copy Local property to True. I didn’t notice more than a second or two delay in build time and then when I deploy I know that I will get all the assemblies I need.

Generally, you don’t need to worry about the references changing except when you get a service pack, a new version, upgrade, etc so if you like you can keep the Copy Local set to False most of the time. Then when your references change be sure to change the Copy Local back to True.

I’m so lost as to why this is so difficult.

If anyone has a better way, please let me know. What price can you put on sanity? Smile

No comments: